Chinese state media have posted pictures of missing tennis star Peng Shuai wishing fans a “happy weekend”, while a video claiming to show the 35-year-old at a restaurant was also released.
The former Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion hasn’t been seen since November 3 after accusing a former top Chinese government official of sexual abuse.
Two-time Grand Slam champ Peng claimed that ex-vice premier Zhang Gaoli, 75, forced her to have sex with him three years ago.
Earlier this week, Chinese state media released an email they said was from Peng, where she insisted that she is “safe” and her sexual abuse allegations were not true. However, the tennis world didn’t believe the email was actually sent by her.
And now Chinese state TV reporter Shen Shiwei has tweeted pictures of Peng from her WeChat account, showing her with cuddly toys, The Sun reports.
Captioning the photos, he said: “Peng Shuai’s WeChat moments just posted three latest photos and said ‘Happy weekend’.
“Her friend shared the three photos and the screenshot of Peng’s WeChat moments.”
One image shows the smiling player with a cat in her arms, stuffed animals, a trophy and a Chinese flag visible in the background.
Another shows a selfie of Peng with an image of Winnie the Pooh in the background. The children’s character is often censored online in China because critics say Chinese leader Xi Jinping resembles the cartoon.