A 9-year-old Massachusetts girl is being hailed a hero for saving her family from carbon monoxide poisoning – after she unlocked her unconscious father’s iPhone by using his face, according to reports.
Jayline Barbosa Brandão was in her room in Brockton on Oct. 28 when she heard her dad yelling for help before he passed out from the odorless gas emitted by the generator they had borrowed after a nor’easter swept through their area.
“I heard my dad screaming and say my mom passed out,” Jayline told WFXT.
The girl grabbed her dad’s phone to call 911 but it was locked, according to the news outlet.
“So I unlocked it by using my dad’s face,” the quick-thinking fourth-grader said.
Jayline’s mom, Marcelina Brandão, told CNN that her daughter then sent her 7-year-old sister out to get help from a neighbor.
The carbon monoxide inside their home was measured at about 1,000 parts per million, rockton Fire Chief Brian Nardelli told CNN.
Brandão said she had a headache and was dizzy and nauseous but thought it was a migraine before she passed out.
“I thought it was just a headache, then two to three minutes I didn’t feel anything after that,” she told WXFT.
All five family members were taken to a hospital and have recovered, according to WXFT.
Jayline’s mom said she believes her daughter saved her life.
“Oh yes, she did. I wouldn’t be here if she wasn’t in the house,” she told the outlet.
Brandão told CNN that they had borrowed the generator after the storm left them without power for about three days.
She said they set the machine outside their home and only ran it for a few minutes before shutting it down because it was noisy. But it had been operating too close to the home, allowing the colorless, odorless gas to waft inside, she said.
The National Weather Service says generators should be kept at least 20 feet away from doors, windows and vents. It also recommends homes to have carbon monoxide detectors.
Sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 parts per million can lead to disorientation, unconsciousness and death, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.
“She was so smart. That was very scary. If it wasn’t [for] her to call right away I don’t know what would have happened,” Brandão told CNN.