A 13-year-old Oregon girl was hospitalized after she suffered severe burns while trying to attempt a TikTok challenge, her family said.
Destini Crane, of Portland, had brought a candle, lighter and rubbing alcohol into her family’s bathroom to try to recreate a popular video in which someone uses flammable liquid on a mirror to draw a shape and then lights it on fire, ABC News reported Saturday.
“I was in the living room talking with my mom, and I heard her scream my name,” her mother, Kimberly Crane, told the outlet. “So I went and opened the bathroom door and everything was on fire. Destini was on fire. Things in the bathroom were on fire.”
She pulled the teen into the living room where she ripped off her shirt, while her neighbor called 911, the outlet reported.
The teen was brought to the hospital, where she has been in the intensive care unit since the May 13 incident to receive treatment for her third-degree burns.
“I know that when she wakes up and fully understands, she’s probably going to freak out,” her mother told ABC News.
Her family is now warning others to keep a close eye on what their children are doing on social media.
“It’s really important to be present with your children, because we can monitor them, we have parental controls, we can do all that all we want, but things slip through,” her sister, Andrea Crane, told ABC News.
“And so it’s really important to be present with your children and have that transparency of, ‘Hey what are you into what? What are you doing right now?’”
Also Read: Hollywood News | Latest World News | Latest Dubai News