A Minnesota judge has delayed jury selection in the murder trial of ex-cop Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd, according to reports.
Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill paused the proceedings Monday morning while prosecutors seek guidance from a state appeals court over a disputed additional charge of third-degree murder against the former police officer, Fox News reported.
Chauvin is currently charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter, but Cahill tossed the additional charge last year.
The state attorney general appealed the ruling to the Court of Appeals, which ruled Friday that Cahill erred in dismissing the extra charge.
Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, said Monday he would file an appeal with the Minnesota Supreme Court, the state’s highest court, but urged Cahill to continue jury selection, Fox said.
However, prosecutors said they want clear guidance from the appeals panel before moving forward with the highly anticipated trial.
Chauvin, 44, is charged with killing Floyd on May 25 by pressing his knee to the back of his neck for nearly nine minutes during an arrest at a Minneapolis intersection.
The caught-on-video incident sparked worldwide protests against police brutality and racial injustice — prompting unprecedented security measures for Chauvin’s trial.
Also Read: Hollywood News | Latest World News | Latest Dubai News