The criminal charges against Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend, who fired at cops who burst into their Kentucky apartment last year and shot Taylor dead, have been permanently dismissed “with prejudice.”
Kenneth Walker, who was charged with assault and attempted murder of a police officer after the March 13 police raid in Louisville, can now never be recharged in the case, WTHR-TV said in a report.
The charges against Walker had been dismissed “without prejudice” in May — but his lawyers wanted the stronger language.
Jeferson Circuit Court Judge Olu Stevens did just that on Monday.
“He’s relieved that it’s finally over because again, he had to live the entire time with the constant fear that they might bring these charges back and there have been all sorts of rumors that they were going to,” defense attorney Steve Romines told WTHR.
Walker opened fire on the officers with a licensed handgun, and told investigators he did not know they were cops when they burst into the apartment.
Walker wounded one of the officers, and the cops fired back and struck and killed Taylor, an unarmed 26-year-old EMT.
Three cops tied to the fatal raid have since been fired.
Detective Brett Hankison was fired in June for “blindly” firing 10 rounds into Taylor’s apartment and was charged with three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment.
In January, two other officers — detectives Joshua Jaynes and Myles Cosgrove, who allegedly fired the fatal shots — were also fired.
Another officer involved in the raid, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, the cop shot and wounded by Walker, later filed a lawsuit over his injuries.
Taylor’s death sparked widespread protests against police brutality and racial injustice, and became a reallying cry for the Black LIves Matter movement.
Also Read: Hollywood News | Latest World News | Latest Dubai News